Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Tackling the Next Step: Table of Contents

Hello! So yesterday I talked about how I had to get started on creating the table of contents draft layout, and today is the day!

First, I did more (yes, more!) research on beauty/fashion magazine TOC examples, and I saved a few pictures from Google that I really liked. I did an in-depth analysis of this TOC from Marie Claire:




I had previously included this example in one of my blog posts but now I’m actually reviewing every technique and element in this layout so that I can emulate the style and hopefully follow the genre conventions of beauty/fashion magazines.

Here’s a little review of the elements of the page that I made with my right-hand tool (and love of my life) Canva (yes! This powerful website can be used for just about anything!):




Here are a few more examples that I found:








Right now, I’m not sure if I want to have one singular picture of a model as the background of the TOC or several small pictures that correspond to the different story titles in the magazine, like in the last example. I’ll probably discuss this with my group to see what we all prefer so that we can all have the same layouts and styles in all aspects of our magazine brand.

The bottom picture shows a common spread in magazines: one page of the TOC paired with an ad; the TOC pages (about three or four) are almost always split up in beauty/fashion magazines.

To get more inspiration, I’ve been looking at Mrs. Stoklosa’s magazine Pinterest board.

By the way, you should check out my Pinterest board!! This is where I spend most of my time, hibernating under my bed covers. I probably spend way too much time on this platform than I should…

I accumulate all my ideas on this platform, and I even have a board where I have all my ideas for magazine styles, layouts, colors, and images. Other than magazine, I also have room decor ideas, summer goals, outfits, house designs, and more, so feel free to check out these boards as well!!


Marie Claire, 25(5), 18.

Analysis of Magazine Contents Page. (2012, November 12). Retrieved from https://ascarolinece.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/analysis-of-magazine-contents-page/

Magazine Contents page examples. (2013, September 30). Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/theresakuhn4/magazine-contents-page-examples/?lp=true

Film, C. (2017, September 12). 2015 Table of Contents & Garnier Fructis Flatiron Express Brazilian Smooth Hair Conditioner, Latina Magazine (2 pages). Retrieved from https://www.flickr.com/photos/29069717@N02/36354967374

No comments:

Post a Comment