Friday, March 15, 2019

Say cheese!

I’m back! This time with different poses that a lot of beauty magazines use not only for their front covers but also for showing clothes or makeup on models.

Since I am certainly no expert on posing or facial expressions, I wanted to compile some research on the types of pictures that different beauty magazines utilize throughout their publications so I can emulate the style of these famous magazines. 


Most magazine cover images focus more on the actual famous model more than on the clothes or makeup on the model because the publication will be conducting an interview on him/her. So, I found that a lot of the cover images on beauty/fashion magazines had mid shots or close-up shots.

Here are some examples:



Here, the model is looking straight at the camera in a close-up shot.



This is one of my favorite cover images that I found! Why?

First of all, I like how the camera is farther away from Camila Mendez so that almost all of her outfit is shown. I want to imitate this style so that I can fully show my mom’s jacket which is what the cover story will be about.

Also, since I am working with inexperienced, camera-shy models, it might be hard for them to pose seriously if a camera is right in front of their faces. By placing the camera farther away, the model can be more confident and not as intimidated with a lens in her face.

Second, I how the model here is carrying a little flower in her hand. Did you notice this little detail?

Why do I love it? Because in my experience, the hardest part of posing is “what the heck do with my hands?!” So, having an object like sunglasses or a hat can not only add visual appeal to the image, but it can also help my model interact with her fashion pieces so that she does not feel static and awkward.

This cover also gave me an idea of how to style my mom’s jacket: instead of the conventional way through the arms, the jacket can be simply placed over the shoulders to give it more originality.

Some more examples that I liked:


TeamKristenSite. (2016, April 28). Kristen on the cover of Marie Claire France Interview - June 2016. Retrieved from http://teamkristensite.blogspot.com/2016/04/kristen-on-cover-of-marie-claire-france.html
Jamaluddin, L. (2018, May 28). Marie Claire June 2018. Retrieved from http://marieclaire.com.my/cover/marie-claire-june-2018/
CAMILA CABELLO in Vogue Magazine, Mexico March 2018 Issue. (2018, February 27). Retrieved from https://www.hawtcelebs.com/camila-cabello-in-vogue-magazine-mexico-march-2018-issue/
Barnaby. (2017, June 30). The Formula for Happiness - Seventeen Magazine Vs My Mom. Retrieved from https://personalfinanceking.com/formula-happiness-seventeen-magazine-vs-mom/

No comments:

Post a Comment