Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Don't Judge a (Magazine) By Its Cover...

Happy Tuesday blog readers!

Considering that I have a few pictures already taken, I decided to start on my magazine layout! I really just wanted to give myself some peace of mind because I've been worrying that I don't have enough content, so just seeing my cover and how I'll set up my layout really established what I've accomplished and what I still need to do. 

Since the beginning of this project, I've been anxious to try out Canva for creating a magazine and I finally got to experiment with layouts, colors, text, templates, and more.
Here's a screen recording of me trying out Canva:




Don’t fully judge it yet because it’s not finished, but here is the draft for my magazine cover after a few tweaks here and there:

I honestly love the white border around the cover; I feel like it gives it a professional yet simplistic look. After I added the image, the masthead, and the cover lines, I loved what I had created but I felt that there was an emptiness looming over my creation. So, I decided to play around with the graphics that Canva provides and wah-lah!

This border reminds me a little of a few indie beauty magazines that I had looked at when doing research on beauty magazines back in the day (three weeks ago):

Image result for indie fashion magazines
Borders are very prevalent in the indie fashion magazine world.

Also, here are pictures of layouts that I've drafted for the rest of the magazine:



I still need to create a draft layout for the ad and the table of contents, but as can be seen, I've been playing around with layouts and different elements for the double page spread. 


First page: Small intro/bio paragraph at the top, three columns of text, two pictures.
Second page: One more column of text, more pictures with numbers labeled. These pictures will show ways to style my mom's jackets and the numbers will correspond to a small little caption explaining more about each look and clothing piece.
I also used some random pictures of myself and then some pictures of my mom's company that she let me use.

On other news:
Valentina, Catalina, and I are planning on visiting Mrs. Nascimento, who is the interior design teacher at our school because she has a lightbox that we can use for taking pictures of products for our ads. Right now, I’m planning on doing an ad on a perfume bottle because while looking through a few beauty magazines the past two weeks, I found that perfume ads were ubiquitous in the beauty magazine world! I also found a perfect perfume bottle that I can use because the brand in only on one side of the bottle, therefore I’ll only take pictures of the side with no brand.

My group got together today and we played around with Canva; we really liked the font Abril Fatface for our masthead. Valentina also downloaded the font “Vogue” from Dafont.com, and we really liked the simplistic and professional look of it.

I'm still brainstorming more ideas for the table of contents based on other beauty magazines, so stay tuned for more about my magazine journey!

Berg, S. F. (2016, February). 10 independent fashion magazines. Retrieved from https://www.stackmagazines.com/everything/10-independent-fashion-magazines/

No comments:

Post a Comment