Saturday, March 9, 2019

Cracking Magazine Photography

Hey guys, so continuing my research for the magazine, I’ll be looking at how to take photos for a magazine today.

Here’s what I have planned:

First off, I know that I will need to take a few pictures of beauty products for my magazine ads. So, I decided to research how to take pictures of products first.

I found this picture:




That explains how to make a DIY (Do It Yourself) Photo Studio.

However, I will probably make some changes. Since my mom already has a ring light for taking pictures of her products, I will probably use this light instead of a window for my lighting.
Yet, I really like the idea that the article includes using a roll of seamless paper to create a seamless white “sweep” for the background. (Sidenote: Valentina, my partner, mentioned to me that her mom was a photographer and probably has a professional white backdrop, so I will likely end up using this for pictures of makeup products.)

This article also gave a piece of advice that I had not thought about:

Placing a foam board on the opposite side of the product’s side that is facing the window. This ensures that the light source will reflect off of the foam board and hit the opposite side of the product so that a shadow is not created.

Keeping in mind that my cover story and only main double page spread will be about my mom’s fashion company, her recommendations, and how to style her pieces, most of the pictures will be of her or her jackets on a real-life model. So, I will most likely be using the tips I learned from the article only for my ads.

As for ads, I was thinking of advertising a makeup product such as a mascara tube or perfume, but I have to keep in mind that the actual brand cannot be visible.


Also, going back to what types of pictures I will take for my magazine, I HAVE TO take a picture of my model making eye contact with the camera for my cover image.

Why? Because Mrs. Stoklosa said so.

Actually... There is a reason behind it!

I found this article that compares photos with a subject looking straight at the camera and away from the camera. The article goes on to explain:

“If your subject is looking directly at the camera it’s hard not to look at them – they become the focal point” and “sometimes when a subject looks directly at the camera it can create discomfort or tension for the viewer of the image – it can be a very strong and confronting pose. This is not necessarily bad – in fact it can really make the shot quite powerful – but it is something to be aware of.”

In other words, eye contact creates a connection with the subject and the audience; it makes it seem as if the model is actually looking at the reader, which might pressure them into grabbing the magazine.

Leighty, K. (2019, March 07). DIY 1: How To Build Your Own Photo Studio On a Bootstrapped Budget. Retrieved from https://www.pixelz.com/blog/diy-1-build-photo-studio-bootstrapped-budget/

Where is Your Subject Looking and Why Does it Matter? (2014, January 23). Retrieved from https://digital-photography-school.com/where-is-your-subject-looking-and-why-does-it-matter/

No comments:

Post a Comment